Sunday, May 6, 2012

So Quiet

Several of the children left this morning by boat to a village called Tatitlek for Cultural Heritage Week.  They will spend the week making Native Alaskan crafts, eating traditional foods like moose and salmon, and being wowed by Yup'ik story teller Jack Dalton.  Jack is a fantastic young man and the children just adore him!  You can watch one of his clips here......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4spK0rYv8

Tatitlek is different from Valdez in that it actually has a sandy beach front!  The kids are so excited to find sea glass, sea stars, and to jump off the dock into the ocean.  They always bring me a lovely bag of stinky nastiness that smells like rotten ocean  treasures!

Last year they made weaved baskets, beaded scissors cases (My Gingher scissors look lovely in there), dream catchers and other fun items.  This is the first year Luke and Joslyn have gone so I don't know what type of projects they will have for the younger children.

Meanwhile, I'm going to catch up on housework I've been ignoring while working on the dining room and do some crafting.  I made this wall hanging a couple weeks back.......













I have a friend who has offered sell some for me at a craft fair where  she will be selling kuspiks and aprons.  I'm  hoping to make a little money but first,I have to have something to send!

 I have my list all made out of which jobs I'm going to tackle on which day.  With just 3 Littles and Sydney (17) at home this week I'm foreseeing lots of processed junk food that isn't normally found in our house (think Kid Cuisine LOL).  I'll make dinner every evening but I'm going with things like frozen lasagna that take no prep from me. 

And then there's the puppy.  Hannah's puppy.  We just got him last week and I'm going to be playing "Grammy".  He's not yet potty trained so he really can't be left alone....ever.  He sure is stinkin' cute though!  See?



We'll see how this week goes!  I'll be sure to share some pics.  Oooh, and pics of the (mostly) finished dining room!!!  God Bless you tonight!

3 comments:

  1. "woven", not "weaved". "Kuspuk". That said, I hope someday you have time to write books, Heather - your blog is very entertaining and well written, and I would hope for great things from you as an author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm...I thought you were doing that for me?! I live it...you write it....that's the deal! ;)

      Delete